Mmmmm…. meatballs. Who doesn’t love them?? Here’s a healthier version that uses ground flax seed (packed with Omega-3 fatty acids) and shredded carrot instead of your typical meatball packed with bread crumbs.
But first… I need to show you this photo:
That was my fridge tonight when I got home from work.. yeah, sad state of affairs… 🙁 But I was still able to whip together these awesome, delicious and relatively healthy meatballs with limited ingredients! My ingredient list wasn’t pre-planned, and it isn’t fancy schmancy, it’s just made of the ingredients I found in my fridge and pantry. I am trying to show you that cooking [healthy food] is EASY and ACCESSIBLE to people like you and me who have busy lives!
Mmmmm… Healthy Meatballs:
Moderation Meter: 1 eat per month
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef (mine was from Onterra Farms)
- 2 tbsp chopped or minced garlic
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 2 tbsp fresh, torn up or chopped basil (or use dry basil. But you should seriously consider growing basil, it’s so easy and I love using fresh basil in my cooking!)
- 1 whole egg
- 3 tbsp ground flax seed
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1 pinch fine ground sea salt or Herbamare
- 1 tsp coconut oil for cooking
- tomato sauce to top
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Roll up your sleeves – you’ll have to get in there with your hands! 🙂
- Form into 1.5 inch balls.
- Fry in coconut oil on medium-high heat in a frying pan. Turn every 4-5 minutes until all sides are golden.
I served mine topped with tomato sauce, with a side of sliced brown Kumato tomatoes and shaved Parmigiano reggiano cheese.. SO DELICIOUS!
And now I officially need to go grocery shopping.