I’ve been on a baking kick recently. It’s something fun to do with my toddler and this pregnancy has me cravings sweets! I haven’t wanted to compromise by eating sugar (mainly having 85% dark chocolate as my go-to!) so I’m experimenting with baking LCHF-friendly desserts. This lemon square recipe turned out pretty great. They’re not “melt in your mouth” the way regular lemon squares are, but they’re tart and sweet and hit the spot anyhow!
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp Swerve
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 3 eggs and 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tbsp freshly grated lemon zest
- 3-4 tbsp Swerve (depending how sweet you want it)
- 3 tbsp coconut flour
- Preheat over to 350F.
- Place all crust ingredients into a food processor and pulse until combined.
- Place crust dough into a greased 9″x9″ baking pan and use your fingers to squish it down. Then bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk the filling ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
- Pour filling over the crust and bake for another 20 minutes. Chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with powdered Swerve if you want to make it pretty 🙂
p.s. I need new dishware. I’m still using hand-me-down plates from my med school roommate!