I’ve always wanted to be one of those people… You know, the type that makes beautiful homemade gifts, wraps them just perfectly, attaches a sweet little Christmas card for everyone on their list and hands them out three weeks before Christmas (because they’re just that organized). LOL. This year, I fulfilled my dream 😉 Well, sort of…
I did make healthy granola bars from scratch (a first for me!), wrap them in parchment paper, fasten them with a bow, and hand them out to people at work! I also went to the One of a Kind Show and bought cute Christmas stockings for me, my hubby-to-be and my brother. They’re so adorable – they put a smile on my face every time I walk into my condo!
I’m really excited to spend my first Christmas as an almost-wife with my favourite two men: my fiance and my brother!!
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!
I pray that you will all receive overflowing blessings in 2014!
- 1 cup almonds (coarsely chopped in food processor, or use sliced almonds)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (or walnut pieces)
- 1 cup puffed quinoa (or puffed rice if you don’t have!)
- 1 cup puffed amaranth (you can substitute oats if you’d like)
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped dried cranberries (or cherries, raisins, any other dried fruit you like)
- 1/3 cup rice syrup
- 1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp honey (or more if you have a sweet tooth)
- optional: 1 tsp maple extract
- 1/2 cup liquid egg white (include to make chewy bars, omit for crunchy bars)
- optional: 3 drops liquid Stevia (if you want it sweeter)
- Combine all dry ingredients (chopped almonds, chopped walnuts, quinoa, amaranth/oats, flax, cinnamon, dried cranberries) in a large bowl.
- In a small sauce pan, bring rice syrup, apple sauce, vanilla, honey, maple extract to a boil, then turn down to simmer until thickened (approx 5 minutes). Remove from heat and let cool slightly; then add egg whites.
- Pour liquid mixture over dry ingredients while stirring. Mix the dry ingredients are fully coated in the sticky syrup.
- Prepare a baking sheet by covering with parchment paper, then greasing with coconut oil (or whatever oil you use). Press granola mixture onto the baking sheet making a 1.5cm (1/4